Sunday, August 03, 2008

Virtual Sketch Date - July - still going

I'm certainly getting some mileage out of the reference photo for July!

This is my first try at using coloured pencil on coloured paper.


(click on photo for bigger image)

I used red 'craft board' from a multicolour pack that I bought in the 'Pound Shop'. I think I have to buy something a bit 'better' if I want to carry on using coloured backgrounds. This paper took only a couple of layers before it started to rub away, but it's fine for me to practice on!

Now that I've tried this, I realise that you have to think carefully about the relationship of the colours you are using before you start! No matter how I tried, I couldn't get the fruits yellow enough. I used a mixture of warm dark brown, indigo, warm grey and purple for the foreground and I tried to lighten the background by using a light blue/mauve and cool grey.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Hi Kay Susan!
I am just tickled that you are still working with this photo!
I often work on colored paper, and it does limit what result you can achieve.

I always think I can get a nice bright white, and it never happens :)

I am loving seeing your drawings. Thanks for sharing them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home