Saturday, July 26, 2008

Virtual Sketch Date - July

Here's my submission for July's Virtual Sketch Date.

I liked the reference photograph so much I decided to draw the complete image.


(click on photo for bigger image)

This is coloured pencil over a watercolour underpainting, something I've wanted to try. I used Derwent Graphitint for the underpainting - (I still haven't got the hang of using these) - on heavyweight cartridge paper. Then I went over it with a mixture of Polychromos and Koh-i-noor pencils.

I tend to draw whatever is in front of me but looking my effort, I realised that cropping it might make a more interesting composition. So I tried cropping my interpretation in PaintShopPro. (This also had the advantage of removing some of the dodgy bits!)

Crop One:


(click on photo for bigger image)

Crop Two:


(click on photo for bigger image)

At first sight, this month's 'assignment' looked easy - just fruit and leaves - but I had real trouble with those leaf shadows on the fruits and the foliage at the top was difficult too. I did take one leaf out, because I just couldn't get it right at all!

I could still do a bit of work on this - but I ran out of time!

It was a good challenge - thank's for the excellent photo Leslie!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Wow!
This is just gorgeous!
I like all of these.
Great post.

Isn't it fun to crop? :)

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Miki Willa said...

This is stunning. I love the quality of your leaves. The colors on the fruits are wonderful, especially the shadows. Great job.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger "JeanneG" said...

Great job. I like the full picture but my favorite is the first crop. I too had trouble with this reference and thought it looked easier than it was. But it was a nice challenge. Your leaves are fantastic.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Paulette said...

Hi Kay,
You did a wonderful job with this. I like the full picture.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Rose Welty said...

This has a great "classic" feel to it...maybe the color choices...very nicely done.

I too struggled after I started...challenging!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Jeanette said...

Fabulous colours and shapes in your drawings. I like them a lot.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Jennifer Rose said...

This is beautiful :) Like Rose said it has a very classic look to it. Could be right out of a book for studying plants.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

Very pretty. Soft and dreamy looking.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Melissa Muirhead said...

This is beautiful and your leaves are so well done, I really struggled with them but you made it look so easy.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Sydney Harper said...

Great job! I like the cool leaf color. It has a book print look to it.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger MaryAnn Cleary said...

Wonderful job! I love the softness to the drawing. Nice interpretation and use of the medium.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger shicat said...

Fabulous, all of your work is just too lovely.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

I love the full piece for the beautiful leaves and vignette style borders. And since I don't see any "dodgy bits", I don't think the crop is necessary. Of course, you may not want to listen to me since I'm struggling with the whole crop/no crop decision on my own piece. :D

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Michael said...

You always end up with so much depth in your work. After studying your work I think I understand how you do it. You use warm and cool colors to your advantage. Warm always looks closer and cool always looks further away.

Yeah, I gotta work on that. I would love to get the same emotional feelings looking at my own art that I do looking at yours.

This one was done wonderfully and as much as I like your cropping experiments, I think I like your original the best.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger kay susan said...

Thank you everyone for the comments. I'm really enjoying taking part in VSD and it's so instructive seeing all the excellent work being posted! Maybe after a few months I'll begin to feel less like 'the new kid in the class'!I've noticed how taking out some of the detail can make the finished picture more lively, but I still have to learn which bits to omit! Youare right, Michael, about the warm and cool colours - that's onw of the 'basics' I learnt during City & Guilds Cert for design in embroidery!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger laura said...

Beautiful--the leaves are really wonderful, and the light on the stems!! The fruit are great too: you shaded them beautifully.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Quilt Knit said...

This is stunning! I love the en grisaille. I will have to do one with one of my own photos.
Thanks for all the working photos.

Sherrie Roberts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home