Friday, June 20, 2008

Virtual Sketch Date - June

I've joined a group called Virtual Sketch Date.

Each month a photograph is posted and participants interpret it.

Here is this month's photograph:



and here is my interpretation:


(click on photo for bigger image)

I've used coloured pencil on cartridge paper. I tried to suggest the foliage and flowers in the background without showing too much detail but giving a feeling of depth.

(Update: I posted this in a hurry last night, because of the time difference. Now I can add a bit...)

It felt very odd working from someone else's photograph. Not quite like using someone else's toothbrush, but close! I've been watching sketches from others in the group coming through, and I could have been much more adventurous in cropping and rearranging the image. I tend to draw exactly what is in front of me. Food for thought there! It's great fun seeing all the different treatments and interpretations, I'm really going to enjoy this group!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

A beautiful entry for this month's sketch date!! I love how you handled the edges of your drawing. Also great job with the always difficult yellows.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger "JeanneG" said...

Good job. I like how you handled the background and added the foliage. I didn't on mine.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Rose Welty said...

Nicely done. As everyone has said, lovely edges - vignetting? (is that a word?) :D And it is so fun to see how everyone interprets and styles differently!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Love the soft airy look you achieved... wonderful!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Wow! This is just beautiful. It's a finished drawing, not just a sketch!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Michael said...

This brings me back to my childhood. It reminds me of reading fairy tales. What strikes me the most is the depth that you have achieved. Your use of color has brought the flowers in the front out and pushed the ones in the back even farther back.

The shades of lavender was a stroke of genius. The original photo was a picture of flowers in someones garden, but your image is of those same flowers in the wild. I can see the breeze blowing across them. Yeah, movement. You have actually created movement. I love it.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer Rose said...

this is beautiful! def not a sketch, this is a very pretty finished piece :D

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Jo Castillo said...

This is beautiful and very lively. Thanks for posting the large view so we can see the strokes and pencil work. :)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Paulette said...

Just lovely! I love the depth that you gave to the center.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home