Monday, June 30, 2008

Self-portrait

The Boss wouldn't let me use him, (gosh, some people can be touchy about photographs and portraits!) so I tried a self-portrait. It was very tempting to make it a lot more flattering! Especially the teeth! The Boss has told the grandchildren that I smoke cuban cigars. He said they can tell by the colour of my teeth. I could tell by the way they kept giving me sideways glances and looking at one another that they didn't know whether or not to believe him!


(click on photo for bigger image)

The usual mixture of kids colouring pencils on coloured pastel paper. I finished it off with a layer of nice soft own brand 'artist's quality' coloured pencils I bought at W H Smith.

I plan to try this again on good cartridge paper with my brand new pencils, hoping to get a more 'photographic' realism result for comparison. I think I get more life and expression with the 'looser' strokes when I use pastel paper, but a better likeness when I use a smooth support.

After a lot of reading reviews and comparing prices, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some PROPER artists' pencils. For starters, I have a bought a set of 60 Faber-Castell Polychromos, plus a set of 30 Koh-i-Noor Polycolour. After I've tried these for a bit, I think I may also want to get some that sharpen up for fine detail, like Berol Verithin or Derwent Studio, and then maybe some really soft ones too. I've also found that I like to use Faber-Castell erasable colour pencils for sketching out the initial drawing - they either cover up nicely or are easily removed for the lighter areas. I also now have some Daler Rowney Heavyweight Cartridge and some nice Ingres pastel paper. I'm really looking forward to trying it all out!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Good job, Kay! Looks like it was done with pastels.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Came over from the Virtual Sketch Date, and was poking around.
This is a fantastic portrait!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger laura said...

This is a great self-portrait. Such a happy, frank face!! I'm amazed a what you do with colored pencils, the color and shading is so subtle, so gradated. I love the hair and the light on (your) chin; the eyes are great too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home