Friday, July 29, 2005

Illustration Friday - Ageing


ageing . Click on photo for bigger image.Posted by Picasa

Maybe not a strict interpretation of the theme, but she is an old witch!

This is an embroidered portrait. I drew it first in pencil, then traced and transferred it to fabric and coloured it in with stitches. Some of it is padded, and the hat brim is added separately.

(I didn't have a model, I made her up!)

Here's a 'zoom out' view....



It was part of the design work building up to Doris, who can be found here:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/235/5718/640/Doris%201.jpg

and here, in closeup:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/235/5718/640/Doris%202.jpg

8 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger steve said...

Oh WOW ! That's awesome ! I luv that unibrow you gave her. This sketch/fabric work is amazing. You've added soooo many details that I'm still staring at it.
Wonderful !

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger isay said...

YOu are so wonderfully talented artist! i like it so much and she really looks like an old witch!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

This is great! You are talented with a great imagination. And I love the pastel of your bulldog!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Knitting Painter Woman said...

Doris is charming... I like the cropped version of your embroidered witch... Her penetrating glance is quite something. Interesting medium....

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Mark Stinson said...

I really appreciate the explanation of how you did it. I spent about 5 minutes staring at it...trying to figure out your method. Then I read your post...and you revealed all! Thank you.

I can see all the work you put into this piece...its amazing.

Mark Stinson
www.comixscene.com

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Rowantree said...

Old witch, is a great concept in this week topic. Great illo!!!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger art-non-deco said...

A very skilled drawing.
Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

I love Doris! She is the greatest grumpy old witch I have ever seen. Your illustration is also fabulous, I love the textures, it adds so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home